Online Course on How to claim
R&D tax credits
Do you know how to judge whether your company or client is eligible for R&D Tax Credits? With so much misunderstanding about what qualifies as R&D, the tax credits scheme is still significantly under-utilised especially in the SME sector.
This course will help you to recognise qualifying R&D activities, compile appropriate cost breakdowns, calculate the value of the R&D tax credit claim
and ensure that your claim includes all the information HMRC want to see.
Understanding How to claim R&D tax credits enables the learner to:
• Have a good overview of the UK R&D tax relief and credit schemes
• Understand the definitions used by HMRC to assess whether a project qualifies as R&D
• Understand the critical information that is normally included in a R&D claim
• Be able to draw up a checklist of what to include in a R&D claim
Learning outcomes of How to claim R&D tax credits
Recognising qualifying R&D activities and projects
• How is science and technology defined for R&D claims?
• What advances need to be sought in order to claim?
• What is the concept of scientific and technological uncertainty?
• Who is a competent professional?
• What are the different types of qualifying activity?
Compiling eligible R&D cost breakdowns
• What qualifying activities and cost can be included in an R&D claim?
• What you need to know when compiling an R&D cost breakdown?
• What are some common pitfalls and how do I avoid them?
Calculating the value of R&D tax credit claims
• What are R&D enhancement rates?
• What are the calculation steps?
• What if the tax credit rate changes during the company’s accounting year?
• What are the R&D elements in a corporation tax return?
Understanding what HMRC wants to see in an R&D claim
• What are the key qualification checks?
• How do we approach the technical justification?
• What does qualifying costs breakdown include?
• What might trigger a HMRC enquiry? What are their common questions?
About the Author of How to claim R&D tax credits
Linda Eziquiel is a Research and Development (R&D) tax credit specialist with extensive experience in helping small and medium sized UK businesses and their advising tax accountants claim R&D tax credits.
Before specialising in R&D Tax Credits, Linda provided more general business advice and support services, under the umbrella of the Home Counties and London Group Business Advisor networks, of which she is still an active member.
Her earlier professional career included managing several multi-million pound government and EU funded regeneration and development programs, and she holds a Master’s Degree in Business Administration.
Learners take their own route through the topics covered in the course. They will learn at their own pace through a variety of activities designed to accommodate a range of learning styles.
Register now for free module
To purchase a course or to try a free module please register. Registration is free and there is no obligation to purchase. Just click the button below:
Please review our Frequently Answers Questions (FAQs) for answers to the most common questions we receive (opens in a new window).