Online Training Course on
With the increased use of judgement in financial reporting in recent years, the ability to exercise professional scepticism is an increasingly important competency for accountants.
• So, what does ‘professional scepticism’ actually mean?
and, more importantly,
• How confident are you in exercising this all-important accounting skill?
This course explores some of the common areas where judgement is necessary
in financial decisions, and considers the appropriate response.
The course not only helps you exercise professional scepticism but also shows
you how to demonstrate it, and ultimately make professional scepticism part of
your organisation’s culture.
Professional Scepticism enables the learner to:
• Understand how professional scepticism is linked to judgement in financial reporting
• Successfully demonstrate professional scepticism at an appropriate level
• Use professional scepticism to account for non-financial assets and liabilities
• Apply professional scepticism in relation to fraud and other financial irregularity
“It provides an overview of a broad and complex field.”
|You can review this course using the questionnaire in the course completion area.|
Learning outcomes of Professional Scepticism
Concepts and requirements
• What is meant by the terms professional scepticism and professional judgement?
• How is professional scepticism linked to judgement in financial reporting?
• Why is professional scepticism a focus of the professional and regulatory bodies?
• What are the regulatory requirements?
Developing and demonstrating a sceptical mindset
• How is professional scepticism linked to audit quality?
• How can professional firms plan to enhance professional scepticism
amongst their staff?
• How can the application of professional scepticism be demonstrated?
• What is the relationship between auditor independence and
Judgement in accounting decisions
• How do I account for non-financial assets and liabilities?
• What difficulties are there involved in accounting for
• What scepticism is involved around the impairment of assets?
• What judgements is required in the assessment of going concern?
• What guidance is given on the assessment of going concern in difficult
Financial irregularities and non-compliance
• What types of irregularities might I have to deal with?
• How is scepticism applied in relation to fraud and other financial irregularity?
• How is professional scepticism applied when fraud is discovered?
• What if there’s a breach of law and regulations?
• What is fraudulent financial reporting?
Target audience for Professional Scepticism
This course is designed to appeal to people working in the accounting and finance industry at all levels.
About the Author of Professional Scepticism
Lisa Weaver is a professionally qualified lecturer with 15 years experience of exam-based, and CPD lecturing for accounting and finance professionals.
Lisa qualified ACA with Deloitte, and spent 4 years in audit practice, with clients ranging from major charities, multi-national organisations and listed companies to football clubs.
Since leaving audit practice, Lisa has lectured financial reporting, audit and governance subjects, developing and delivering CPD courses for qualified accountants working in industry and in practice.
Her clients have included KPMG, PWC, National Grid, British Energy, Orange, ACCA, AAT, ICAEW and CIMA. Lisa has delivered courses across Europe, the Caribbean, China and South East Asia and is regularly published in ACCA’s Accounting and Business journal.
Learners take their own route through the topics covered in the course. They will learn at their own pace through a variety of activities designed to accommodate a range of learning styles.
Register now for free module
To purchase a course or to try a free module please register. Registration is free and there is no obligation to purchase. Just click the button below:
Please review our Frequently Answers Questions (FAQs) for answers to the most common questions we receive (opens in a new window).
Buy Professional Scepticism Online Course
Pay online now
Add to cart / basket
Click on the Buy Now or Add to Cart button above to make your purchase via credit or debit card. Your payment will be collected securely via PayPal. Please note that a PayPal account is NOT required to process your payment (simply click on the option to pay via credit or debit card). No surcharge will be levied on card payments for purchases. You will automatically be emailed a receipt after your purchase. Your service with Financial Fluency commences once your payment is processed. You have the right to cancel your order, less an admin charge, from the time of purchase for a period of 7 days provided you have not accessed the course. If you have worked through any of the course content you will not be able to cancel your order. Please read our full terms and conditions before purchase.
Pay by invoice and bank transfer
If preferred you can pay via bank transfer (BACS / EFT / Online banking).
Please complete the form below and we will send you an invoice with our bank details.
Other relevant information
View cart or checkout
If using our shopping cart, you can view the cart and checkout here.
You will receive 3 or 12 months (depending upon your chosen option) unlimited free access after payment of a one off registration fee.
Length of courses
Each course takes approximately 4 hours to complete.
Once you've completed the course you will be able to claim 4 verifiable CPD hours, if required. CPD points are claimed by the registered user, who can be someone different to the person who pays if required.
VAT will be calculated and added automatically during the checkout process (and before any payment is taken) based on your location.
VAT is applicable at the prevailing rate for customers within the EU. VAT will be added during checkout at the rate applicable to your Country. For customers outside the EU, where UK VAT is non-applicable, the checkout will automatically detect your location and VAT will not be added.
For customers in the Channel Islands please contact us in advance of purchase.
You will be emailed instructions of how to access your course and an activation code within one working day, usually a few hours.
Do you wish to pay in a different currency?
Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with a list of the courses you wish to purchase and your chosen currency and we will send you an invoice in your desired currency.
Any more questions?
For any questions, please see our frequently asked questions as well as our full terms and conditions or send an email to email@example.com