Online Course on Gift Aid
and Donor Tax Reliefs
Research carried out by HMRC shows that despite good awareness of Gift Aid, there is a lack of understanding among donors about how it works in practice, in particular about the link to tax.
Because of the amounts involved, HMRC take the subject of Gift Aid
compliance seriously. As an accountant you need to be aware of the reliefs available to your clients or organisation to ensure maximum tax relief for
Charities need to be aware of how both they and their donors can benefit to
maximise the charity’s income and minimise the cost to the donor.
This course has been designed to arm accountants what they need to know about these reliefs for their organisations or their clients. The course covers the key points in dealing with tax reliefs and pitfalls to be avoided.
Understanding Gift Aid and Donor Tax Reliefs enables the learner to:
• Discuss with charities and donors the reliefs available for different forms of giving
• Recognise and avoid the traps that can deny or restrict those reliefs
• Understand the essential issues with Gift Aid
• Identify common problems relating to Gift Aid
• Learn how to avoid costly errors in Gift Aid claims and deal with HMRC audits
Learning outcomes of Gift Aid and Donor Tax Reliefs
• What are declarations?
• What are the requirements for declarations?
• What do I need to know about donations?
• What benefits or supporter schemes can I offer?
• How are donor benefits valued
• What are the audit requirements?
• How do I claim?
Gift Aid Small Donations Scheme (GASDS)
• What are the limits on donations and claims?
• Who is eligible?
• What are the rules around community buildings?
• What are “connected charities”?
Gifts of Quoted Securities and Property
• What tax reliefs are available?
• What are the qualifying assets?
• What about combining with other reliefs?
• What reliefs from capital taxes are available?
• What is Payroll Giving?
• What are the rules on donations by business?
• What is social investment tax relief?
• What does the legislation apply to?
• What makes the donation tainted?
• What about application to trusts?
• What about the purpose and relationship with other legislation?
Target audience for Gift Aid and Donor Tax Reliefs
Accounting professionals at all levels in practice and industry looking to better understand tax for their clients or organisation.
About the Author of Gift Aid and Donor Tax Reliefs
Tony Austin FCA has been a Chartered Accountant and tax specialist for over 30 years of which nearly 20 years were as tax partner with BDO and Mazars, where he specialised in advising charities on direct taxation matters particularly those relating to trading, Gift Aid and other tax effective giving and the establishment and running of trading subsidiaries.
Through his work with the Charities’ Tax Group, he is involved in the consultation process with HMRC on the application and reform of tax legislation affecting the not for profit sector.
He also advises owner managed businesses, both large and small, on all aspects of direct taxation and tax planning affecting them and the people that own them, including subsidiaries or branches of overseas companies.
Learners take their own route through the topics covered in the course. They will learn at their own pace through a variety of activities designed to accommodate a range of learning styles.
Register now for free module
To purchase a course or to try a free module please register. Registration is free and there is no obligation to purchase. Just click the button below:
Please review our Frequently Answers Questions (FAQs) for answers to the most common questions we receive (opens in a new window).