Online Course on Freedom of Information
Anyone working for a public authority or company wholly owned by a public authority needs to understand the Freedom of Information Act 2000. They need to know how and when they must respond when individuals request the information that is held about them.
This course enables learners to understand the legal responsibilities, the policies and procedures that need to be followed and how to put them into practice. It shows what is meant by “access to information”, what the law says and what needs to be done to comply. The decision making process is explained as well as the rules, how to manage confidential information and what all of this means for your organisation.
Freedom of Information for Accountants enables the learner to understand:
• The rights the public has to apply for information so that requests can be responded to appropriately and efficiently
• When and how requests need to be logged
• What action needs to be taken to promote good records and information management
• What policies need to be put in place, why and how to implement them
• How to comply with the law and continue to provide services effectively to the public
What the law says
• What is “Access to Information”?
• Who does the Freedom of Information Act apply to?
• What rights do people have to access information?
• When does FOI apply?
• What is a Publication Scheme?
Duties and obligations
• What rights does an applicant have to see the information requested?
• What happens if an applicant is not clear about the information they want?
• What limitations are there on what applicants can ask for?
• What rules do we have to work within?
• What kind of information is covered by exemptions?
• What about personal information?
• What about commercial information given in confidence?
• What happens if we disclose confidential information?
• What powers does the Information Commissioner have?
• What is the ultimate sanction for non compliance with FOI Act?
Target audience for Freedom of Information for Accountants
This course is relevant for accounting and finance professionals at all levels.
Register now for free module
To purchase a course or to try a free module please register. Registration is free and there is no obligation to purchase. Just click the button below:
Please review our Frequently Answers Questions (FAQs) for answers to the most common questions we receive (opens in a new window).
Use promo code FF101 at checkout to receive the Financial Fluency special price
Use promo code FF20 at checkout to receive £100 discount on 5 or more courses