In-House Training Course on
Understanding the asset
This two-day course is for staff at Board or managerial level.
It aims to give a comprehensive insight into how the institutional asset management industry
works. It will help delegates to see their own role in an industry and business context and gain a better understanding of the operational processes supporting successful performance and client service. The programme incorporates the latest research and thinking on the industry and includes input from experienced senior practitioners.
No prior industry experience is necessary to attend the course but it will be fast-paced.
Pre-course work will be provided and a small amount of evening preparation is required.
Understanding the asset management industry
At the end of the workshop, delegates will have a better understanding of:
• The UK marketplace and the key factors impacting on institutional business
• How the industry is responding to the main challenges
• The financial dynamics of a firm, including investment fees, and understand the impact on costs and profitability
• The range of current approaches to asset management and how different investment processes work
• How different business models within the sector drive management style, culture and attitudes to competence
• Operational processes necessary for successful business development and client service
• Opportunities and restrictions of UK and EU financial regulation
The Content of Understanding the
asset management industry Workshop
Understanding the market
• Institutional products, with the emphasis on pension schemes
• Size of the UK and main international markets
• Recent trends in the UK market
Understanding institutional clients and business development
• Role of the plan sponsor, trustees, investment managers, consultants, custodian and administrator
• Impact of pensions legislation
• The selection process
• Role of the consultants, interaction of the consultants, trustees and investment managers
• Information required by consultants (digging into the RFP)
• The “Beauty Parade” and final selection
Case study covering ‘Review of RFP document’
Understanding the financials
• The financial dynamics of a firm
• Investment fee structures
• Cost structures
• Profit drivers
Looking into the future
• Forces impacting on the industry
• Challenges facing firms and managers
• Competition, cost reduction, public scrutiny and increased regulation
• New approaches and new skills needed
Investment management processes
• Strategic vs. tactical asset allocation
• Changing the asset mix for better asset-liability matching
• Recent developments: LDI, 130:30, using hedge funds, derivatives strategies and globalisation of UCITS funds
Case study covering ‘Tactical Asset Allocation simulation’
Investment processes and risk management
• Dealing, settlement and custody
• Investment operations processes
• Performance measurement and reporting
Understanding operational risk management
• Mitigating major operational risks in fund management
• Implications for day-to-day management
• Issues for IT, outsourcing and disaster recovery
Case study covering ‘Operational risk simulation’
Current trends and themes in financial services regulation
• Impact of EU regulation
• Current FSA priorities including authorisation of funds, market timing, systems and controls
• Role and structure of the Compliance team
Case study covering ‘New fund launch risk review’
Asset management organisational structures
• Typical organisational structures, governance and management
• Key skills and capabilities
• Performance management and reward
• The Approved Persons regime
The Target Audience
• Middle managers new to the business
• Middle managers in new roles who require a broad overview of their firm
• Service providers including custodians, trustees and depositaries and administrators
• Managers in operational areas of the firm
• Legal and compliance
• PR, marketing, advertising and design firms working with clients in the institutional investment business
• Industry regulators and government departments
The asset management industry Course Delivery
We take an open friendly and enthusiastic approach to learning finance. We believe that people learn more effectively when they are enjoying themselves. We make finance interesting for you.
We love questions and welcome as many as possible. We encourage an open atmosphere which in our experience accelerates the learning process. We always use lots of exercises, case studies and real life examples in our training as we believe this really helps our clients to understand concepts.
We find that people only really learn when they test their understanding through practice.We offer traditional training, facilitation, interactive simulations, coaching and online training.
Tailored In-house Course
All our courses are tailored to meet our client’s specific needs.
We like to spend time getting to know our clients as we strongly believe that training is most effective and valuable when tailored and focused.
In-house Asset Management Industry Training
Our training can be held within your office or an external venue of your choice.