Online Course on
Modelling Financing Options
This is course number four in a series of four courses.
No financial model is complete unless it addresses the issue of capital expenditure and financing, but all too often, this is forgotten. This course will enable you to incorporate financing issues and their implications into your model.
It also provides the tools to help you use financial models to assess
investment options, for example, when comparing projects with different
investments and levels of certainty on expected returns.
Understanding Modelling Financing Options
enables the learner to:
• Recognise what capital expenditure is and identify the key components to include
in your financial model
• Understand how capital expenditure and other funding requirements are expected to be financed
• Incorporate and present funding sources into your financial model appropriately
• Consider the time value of money and how it can be used to assess options in your financial model
Learning outcomes of Modelling Financing Options
Modelling capital expenditure
• What is capital expenditure?
• What is required to calculate the capital expenditure requirement?
• How is the calculation block for the capital expenditure constructed?
• What real-life factors might need to be considered?
• What do we mean by financing?
• Why do businesses seek finance?
• What is the finance likely to be used for?
• From what sources might finance be obtained?
• Where in the model should the funding calculations be placed?
• How accurately do the cash flows associated with the funding need to be predicted?
Funding from internal external sources
• Why and when might funding be sought from internal
or external sources?
• What is “circularity” in a financial model?
• Which ingredients are required to calculate the
• How do I build a calculation to show the loan balance?
• What is the structure of the calculation block loan interest?
• What is the structure of the calculation block for the loan repayments?
Time value of money
• What is time value of money?
• What is the importance of time value of money in relation to different financing options?
• Which ingredients are required to calculate the discounted cash flow?
• What is the structure of the calculation block for the discounted cash flow?
• What other methods are used to compare cash flows?
Target audience for Modelling Financing Options
Anyone involved in creating or interpreting financial models.
About the Author of Modelling Financing Options
Grant Thornton UK LLP specialise in developing, building and reviewing financial models for clients.
Grant Thornton is one of the world’s leading organisations of independent assurance, tax and advisory firms. Over 38,500 Grant Thornton people, across 120 countries, are focused on making a difference to clients, colleagues and the communities in which they live and work.
Learners take their own route through the topics covered in the course. They will learn at their own pace through a variety of activities designed to accommodate a range of learning styles.
Register now for free module
To purchase a course or to try a free module please register. Registration is free and there is no obligation to purchase. Just click the button below:
Please review our Frequently Answers Questions (FAQs) for answers to the most common questions we receive (opens in a new window).
Buy Modelling Financing Options
Add to cart / basket
Click on the Buy Now or Add to Cart button above to make your purchase via credit or debit card. Your payment will be collected securely via PayPal. Please note that a PayPal account is NOT required to process your payment (simply click on the option to pay via credit or debit card). No surcharge will be levied on card payments for purchases. You will automatically be emailed a receipt after your purchase.
Pay by invoice and bank transfer
If preferred you can pay via bank transfer (BACS / EFT / Online banking).
Please complete the form below and we will send you an invoice with our bank details.
Other relevant information
View cart or checkout
If using our shopping cart, you can view the cart and checkout here.
You will receive 3 or 12 months (depending upon your chosen option) unlimited free access after payment of a one off registration fee.
Length of courses
Each course takes approximately 4 hours to complete.
Once you've completed the course you will be able to claim 4 verifiable CPD hours, if required. CPD points are claimed by the registered user, who can be someone different to the person who pays if required.
VAT will be calculated and added automatically during the checkout process (and before any payment is taken) based on your location.
VAT is applicable at the prevailing rate for customers within the EU. VAT will be added during checkout at the rate applicable to your Country. For customers outside the EU, where UK VAT is non-applicable, the checkout will automatically detect your location and VAT will not be added.
For customers in the Channel Islands please contact us in advance of purchase.
You will be emailed instructions of how to access your course and an activation code within one working day, usually a few hours.
Do you wish to pay in a different currency?
Simply email email@example.com with a list of the courses you wish to purchase and your chosen currency and we will send you an invoice in your desired currency.
Any more questions?
For any questions, please see our frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org